Information on SQLbase software and database

Want to talk to Marketing? Or hear what they have to say? Here's where you do it.

Information on SQLbase software and database

Postby Julien57 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 am

Hello,

My name is Julien , I work in CETE to East (Technique study center of East Equipment) in France. I come towards your company GUPTA TECHNOLOGY to specialize in the database and conversion of data with the “SQLbase” software. Actually I encounter a problem with a file binary extension to format “.dbs”.

The objective is to have a “SQLbase” software or a tool such ODBC or JDBC and to see another driver / software allowing to concert easy the type binary format of date in exploitable data under a spreadsheet program (Excel...) or a recent database SQL.

Who can you help and give me more piece of information on this subject ? If there is a software capable of open and convert this type of file, I shall wish an estimate on this software to compagny GUPTA TECHNOLOGY.

Thank you

E-mail Adress : julien.hilt.CETE-est@developpement-durable.gouv.fr

M.Julien
Julien57

Re: Information on SQLbase software and database

Postby mvandine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 am

Hi Julien,

If I'm reading this right, I think you have a SQLBase database (.dbs) file and you want to extract the data from it. Looks like you don't have the SQLBase software installed; you just have the database file.

So, without having a SQLBase engine running, you has no hope of extracting the data. The first thing that we need to do is find out what version the database is and then we could at least see if we have any hope of opening the database using a correct version. Connection will also be highly dependent on if you also have the SYSADM user's password.

Lots of unknowns. If you can send me a zipped up .dbs file, I can at least query it to find out what version it is. Mike.vandine@guptatechnologies.com

Best regards,
Mike Vandine
Gupta Technologies
mvandine

Postby Julien57 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Mister Mike,

Actually I use the SQLbase version 7,0 software for open the file “.dbs” but I don't know the user name and password (I have just asked for them). Please find enclosed the “.dbs” file on your adress E-mail. If you can look the version of “.dbs” file and there isn't solution for open “.dbs” file without to use the user name and password ? Or delete the user name and password to reach “.dbs” file ?

Thank you

Presently we use again old software to process database, type “.dbs” file thus my question is:

Be that your SQLbase software recent anything open, process, convert and exploit this type “.dbs” file in a spreadsheet (Excel...) ?

If yes I would like to know where to get me an estimate concerning this software ?

Cordially

M.HILT
Julien57

Postby mvandine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi Julien,

When I check the version of this dbs file it shows version 0.0.0.

Also, the database name that you have (meldirco2011) is too long for a 7.0 database. With that version there was a limit of 8 characters.

So I'm questioning if this is actually SQLBase that you are using or some other product. What is the software that you are using the database for? You might have a look at:

http://filext.com/file-extension/DBS

This shows all *other* software companies that use a .DBS extension.

Best regards,
Mike Vandine
Gupta Technologies
mvandine

Postby Julien57 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Mike

I succeced in open the “.dbs” file with the “SQLbase version 5,1,1,a” to supply with the “Mélodie” software and the password and user name “.dbs” file but why I don't reach at open the “.dbs” file with a “SQLbase version 7,0 software ?

Now I would like optimize the exploitation system “SQLbase” software. So I would like to know if your “SQLbase” software recent are compatible with my “SQLbase version 5,1,1,a” software ?

Cordially

M.HILT
Julien57

Postby mvandine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Julien,

SQLBase 5.5.1 is *very* old and is not compatible with any version that I currently have. The oldest version that I have is a 6.1.2 version.

You need to be able to 'unload' the database, which extracts all information into a file, including the structure of the database and all the data. That can then be used to create a new database on a newer version and then load the information from the unload file. You will then be able to use ODBC (or similar) to extract the data to an Excel spreadsheet or an Access database.

I think that your utility with 5.5.1 would be WINTalk.exe. You need to connect to the database using that utility and do the unload. The script would probably go something like this:

connect dbname sysadm <sysadmpassword.;
unload database unload.sql;
exit;

If you can get that unload.sql file, zip it up and send it to me privately and I will see if I can load it into a newer version.

Best regards,
Mike Vandine
Gupta Technologies
mvandine

Return to Marketing