can no l onger run MS Access outer-join queiries

Discussion regarding installation problems for all products.

can no l onger run MS Access outer-join queiries

Postby gringotani » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 am

Since we upgraded our server, certain types of MS Access outer join queiries no longer function anymore. I am getting the error message" ODBC--Call failed [Gupta][ODBC Driver][Parser] [Position 41, 94]'OUTER JOIN' keyword is missing (#-19)". (please see attached screenshot)

Please note that non outerjoin queries still do function.

When I use our older ODBC driver , “Centura SQLBase 3.5 32-bit NT & Win95”, the outerjoin queries do function. Unfortnately, I cant use this old ODBC driver on a Windows 7 operating system (it only functions on an XP operating system).

I also have a similar problem, which I don’t know if it is related or not. The Gupta 9 driver doesn’t function at all on a 64bit operating system, it only works on 32bit. So whenever we buy a new PC, we have to downgrade to 32bit O/S (and still outerjoin queiries don’t function)

our platform: SqlBase 9.01 ptf2, Win Server 2003
Gupta driver (I downloaded version 9 and installed the refresh from http://www.guptatechnologies.com).
MS Office 2003 and 2007, Windows XP 32bit and Windows 7 32bit

example code snippet of an non functioning MS Access outer-join query:
Code: Select all
SELECT SYSADM_PART.ID
FROM SYSADM_PART LEFT JOIN SYSADM_PART_ALIAS ON SYSADM_PART.ID = SYSADM_PART_ALIAS.PART_ID;

I also tried performing a “test connect”, with the Gupta driver using the SYSADM username and password. Eventhough the connection was succesful, a dialog immediately pops up with an error message dialog box saying: "Write odbc.ini entry Incomplete. Failed with 19 Could not write to registry". (please see attached screenshot)

I ran the ODBC tracing log and then ran the MS Access outer join query and attached the log. (I had to rar it because a txt (notepad) upload isnt allowed)

Please advise what I need to do in order to enable outerjoin queries to function in MS Access.
Thank you very much in advance, Nathaniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gringotani

Re: can no l onger run MS Access outer-join queiries

Postby Jeff Luther » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:05 pm

I was going to ask internally about this, but I have some questions to clarify first:

Since we upgraded our server,

What is the Server? SQLBase? From <what> version to SB 9.0.1?

From what I read you did the following:
* Earlier SB server (?) ODBC 3.5 driver worked OK for OUTER JOIN syntax? And on WinXP this worked OK?

* You upgraded to SB v9.0.1 -- OUTER JOIN still OK?

* But now with SB v9.0.1 and its ODBC v9 driver *and* the fact that you are on Win7, your OUTER JOIN now fails with the error image.

Seems to me kind of like more unknowns then there are equations. What I mean is: When did the syntax stop working? When you upgraded to SB 9 with its ODBC v9 driver? Or only after you changed OS's to Windows7?

could OUTER JOIN syntax have changed somewhere along the way?
Jeff Luther

Postby gringotani » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 am

Please excuse the late reply :
The Server is SQLBASE SERVER.
It was formerly running Visual Manufacturing 6.1.3 with engine 7.0.1.
It now runs Visual Manufacturing 654.12 with ENGINE 9.0.9) .

The ODBC 3.5 driver still does work for outer join syntax as long as it is running on XP (and if the Gupta driver was never installed), but unfortunately, the 3.5 driver doesn’t work if we are running Windows 7 or if we are running XP that once had the Gupta driver installed (we cant go back to 3.5 if the Gupta was already installed, even if we uninstal the Gupta driver)

The screenshots and ODBC trace log are from an XP PC, that is using the Gupta driver

The outer join syntax hasn’t changed. And this outer join query does work if it is running on an XP PC that is running ODBC 3.5

In addition, we are unable to run the Gupta ODBC driver if the O/S is Win 64bit, so we need to downgrade to 32bit and even then we still can’t run outer join queries.

Please advise accordingly and thank you very much in advance, Nathaniel
gringotani

Postby mvandine » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for the private message. Hope the drivers work for you. Please let me know.
Mike Vandine
Gupta Technologies
mvandine

Postby gringotani » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 am

the driver wasnt in the download link. Aall I find were two dll files. Would you be able to resend?
thank you
gringotani

Return to Installation