Report Builder

Discussion regarding installation problems for all products.

Report Builder

Postby wgonzalez » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:28 am

January 5, 2010

Hello There!!

Is there anyone out there with some experience with PHP and Java Script that
can provide some examples on how to work with the activex components
of Report Builder. I am interested in generating reports using PHP and Report
Builder specifying report parameters in a programmatic way.

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply,

Regards,

William Gonzalez
wgonzalez@inofor.net
wgonzalez

Re: Report Builder

Postby Jeff Luther » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:17 pm

William:

To comment, I've never heard of this being done. The only interface to RB that's been supported over the years is via Team Developer (TD) and an application one would write using Unify's TD product. (Info. about TD is available here: http://www.guptatechnologies.com/Products/TeamDevel ... fault.aspx )

Very briefly, here's how that works, and is based on this model: a QRP template + TD EXE Data = a "report" -- either shown in 'preview' mode (like RB's Mode/Preview window displays it) or 'print' mode.

From a TD app it's done like this:
* using ReportBuilder -- design a report, but save the report as a QRP (template-only) file. That means it doesn't have the query embedded in it; later, data for the report will come from a TD app + connection to the DB.

* using TD: app. code uses a series of SalReport functions to open a report given the QRP name, associate variables in the app. with "Input Items" in the report, optionally send a command to the open report window, close the report, etc.

* TD SAM_Report msgs. are used in the app code to synchronize the code's SQL statement for prepare/execute, and for fetching each row of data from the DB. And for each row, that DB column's value is associated with one of the corresponding "Input Items" in the report template. You can see the "Input Items" list in the left pane of a report in RB when you click menu Mode/Design. Select an Input Item in the left pane, r-click and click the menu item Properties. This gives you details about that item's data type.

Of course, all that's done for you using RB and Q. Internally, their code provides the SQL interface to the DB, and fetches data that's displayed in the report. Again, that's possible because a report saved as a CQT file contains the query + report 'templete'; as I said, a QRP file is the report 'template' only and requires an external source (a TD application) to provide the data.
Jeff Luther

Postby wgonzalez » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:11 pm

January 5, 2010

Hello Jeff!

I am interested in your TD product. Can you send
me price information via e-mail. I would like
to see if it is within my budget.

Thank your very much for your cooperation,

Regards,

William Gonzalez
wgonzalez@infor.net
wgonzalez

Postby Jeff Luther » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Hi again:

Pricing etc. is outside my expertise, William, but what I have done is pass your request on to the Sales group here at Unify. I'm sure someone there will be contacting you about your interest in TD. On behalf of Unify, thanks!
Jeff Luther

Postby wgonzalez » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 am

January 6, 2010

Jeff:
I found the following topic in Report Builder Help File:
"Using the Report Builder automation objects with another programming language."

What limitations would I find using Visual Basic as the interface to Report Builder?
Would I be able to do the same as with TD?

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply,

Regards,

William Gonzalez
wgonzalez@inofor.net
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wgonzalez

Postby Jeff Luther » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:21 am

Would I be able to do the same [using VB] as with TD?

I see the Help you are displaying, though have not heard of anyone using it with another language. And I haven't used the AX interface either. Perhaps another forum user has done something like this. Let us know how you do if you implement it yourself.
Jeff Luther

Software Description

Postby wgonzalez » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am

January 6, 2010

Hello Jeff!

Can you give me some reading material on TD. I understand it is a
developing framework but, I don't know how it works or what
type of programming language it is like. Maybe you have a
general outline of how it works and what it does that you can
provide for me to read.

Thanking you in advance for your prompt reply,

Regards,

William Gonzalez
wgonzalez@infor.net
wgonzalez

Postby Jeff Luther » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am

Unify has TD docs online, William. Here you go: http://support.guptatechnologies.com/Docs/TDDoc2/ww ... wwhelp.htm
Jeff Luther

Postby Sam13 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:15 pm

I am interested in your TD product. Can you send
me price information via e-mail. I would like
to see if it is within my budget.
Thanks,,..//
Sam13

Postby FWP » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:49 am

Hello,

is there an possibility to add Input Items to a Report other than adding them manually using the Format-Input-Items-Dialog?

Background:
After a program change in several reports (more than 10 different reports) respectively more than 60 input items (always the same Input items in the same order!) have to be added.
FWP

Postby frevelundfey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:35 am

Hi,
yes there is a possibilty:
You can use the report-builder API to programmatically analyse and alter reports.
Just include QRPTi31.DLL (for other versions just replace the numbers) and use CGxx_xxxxx-functions.
Regards Thomas
frevelundfey

Postby H3PO4 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:45 am

Hi FWP,

you may have a look at the reportbuilder.apl...

Regards
Henning
Henning Frisch
HFSNET
Consulting and Development
H3PO4

Postby Jeff @ PC Design » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:13 am

FWP -- (Side note, but you really should post a *new* topic for your RB issue. I see this msg. thread is some 5 years old and not very well titled. Additionally, RB issues are related to its corresponding TD version, so the Team Dev. section + the section for the RB/TD version you are using is where this topic thread should be.)

That said, I guess I'd better reply as well: Yes, I think it's possible to 'remotely' add fields to a QRP using TD + the report.apl AX/COM interface include file. I have not done this but here a couple leads that might help figure this out:
> TD ships with a series of books PDF files, including report.apl. This has a section called "Report Programming with ActiveX" as a starter.

> TD also ships with a series of Samples. and when installed has a "Samples\SQLWindows\Report Builder" section, though I didn't see any sample specifically to add fields to a report.

> Dave Rabelink's TD Vault site area has series of RB Sample code appls:
http://tdsamples.daverabelink.net/index ... rch_mode=f
You might find something there.

> Maybe I have some sample code that can help: I looked through my cache of old SW/TD samples and found a couple 'qrp update' type samples. I didn't write them and as you'll see by the dates they are old. I've attached 2 zips.
NOTE that reportupdate.zip has a REPORT UPDATEProblem description.mht that someone wrote years ago and I saved with the sample. That provides a little intro. to the contents of this zip.
Again, I did not write these samples so I will leave it to you to test them, see what they do and if they don't solve your problem, then...

I have a BIG suggestion: You try to solve your coding issue and the attached samples don't do what you want, by modifying or writing a small test case with a test QRP file that maybe has a manually-added field or 2 in it. Now, code in a TD test that will open the QRP, add a field, (save as another name?), and close the QRP. This way if you cannot get a simple test to work then you can zip the files and attach to a new post to your msg. thread here. Maybe someone here can then help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Luther/PC Design http://www.jeffluther.net/TD/
Come join us at Dave Rabelink's "Team Dev. Community Forum".
All TD, TDMobile & SQLBase users welcome!
(http://tdforum.daverabelink.net/index.php)
Jeff @ PC Design

Return to Installation