Q - installation path

Discussion regarding installation problems for all products.

Q - installation path

Postby Chacay » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:04 am

Hey colleagues,

I'm trying to install Q under MS Windows 7. The setup suggests as installation path c:\Users\Public\AppData\Unify\Q. After installing all the TD5.2 deployment files will be found in this folder. This seems to be the wrong destination for program files.

Is it possible to select the correct destination within %programfiles% without expecting problems while writing any user configuration files, for example?

I'm thinking, the setup has to ask for the program files destination and for the user file destination too.

Thank's a lot.

Joachim
Chacay

Re: Q - installation path

Postby Jeff Luther » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Joachim:
Here's a response back from Support where they tested installing Q with Windows 7:
On Windows 7 Q cannot set %programfiles% as the default installation folder because of VISTA permissions issues. That’s the reason the Installer has C:\Users\Public\AppData folder as the default folder.

Also, as you suggested, Q cannot have a separate directory for the configuration files because Q as a TD application depends on SQL.INI and that needs to be in the current directory. Also, the Q license file needs to be in the Q application directory itself in order to honor the license.

In any case users can select program files as the install folder but that will have issues when Q tried to write entries into SQL.INI and to license file.
Jeff Luther

Postby Chacay » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Jeff,

thank you for the answer, even this I haven't expected. The Unify-Support is talking about "... VISTA permissions issues ...". Since the first time Vista was presented by Microsoft a few years ago we know about this issue. We all are developers with a lot of experience - in our case about 25 years (nearly a grandpa of software engineering :lol: ). Microsoft defines the "quasi" standard and for various reasons we should accept this. Jeff, you say "... because Q as a TD application ..." we have to install on principle our TD applications in the program data path. This have consequences for those applications. For example it will not be possible to meat the Microsoft defined requirements for VISTA/Windows 7 certified applications. One of the first rool is, to install program files in the mentioned path %ProgramFiles%. Files with write permissions have to reside in %ProgramData% and only those files. I'm sure, Unify will respect this in future and a welcome service pack will correct this.

For nearly one year I'm wearing a shirt with I nice logo at its backside. The logo says: "Q IS BACK" . Let me wear my shirt with proudness :wink: !

Joachim
Chacay

Postby Jeff Luther » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:28 am

Once again, I got a response back from support/QA to your latest email in this thread:

Below link from MS describes how to handle UAC issues on VISTA and Windows 7"
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/develo ... ction.aspx

It indicates that %ProgramFiles% is no longer the right directory for installation on VISTA platforms. So we verified that C:\Users\Public\AppData is only the right place which contains all permissions for the Q program to run without needing administrator privileges.
Jeff Luther

Postby Chacay » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Jeff,
thanks once more for your reply and for the link.

My english capability isn't very great, but what I have learned from Microsofts link is nearly exact, what I have mentioned in my last posting. They are talking in all cases about the location of program data. Program data will be in our case the SQL.INI and the license file. These files have to reside in a location, where the normal user has permission rights of course. They never talk about the location of program files. Program files are shared between all users as well, but the normal user has to have under no circumstances the right to change or delete those files. The location of the program files is not under discussion.

I have another link from Microsoft. To get a logo "Certified for Windows 7" the application has to fit some rules explained in the Windows 7 Client Software Logo Program. Have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... b610a4da79. In the Technical Requirements, section #1 and #2, it is explaned, that an application should use the default folder for program files. If you have a short look at the security of computer systems, you will find a lot of arguments for this location. First of all the user hasn't the abiltiy to change or delete application files. Users can have various reasons to do this (clumsiness, dissatisfaction, etc.). Also malware can have an easy job to infect a system, when application files are installed in a folder with public wright permission. And so on.

Back to our TD5.2. We have the ability to use the system variable SqlINI. Use the environment variable %allusersprofile% (well known since Windows XP), add "\Unify\Q\sql.ini" and there are no problems to expect. For the license file use the same path and we are ready. The application files can now reside in the favorite folder %ProgramFiles% by default and we meet better Microsofts rules for Windows 7 certified programs and we have a very much safer system.

What is your opinion, Jeff.

Greetings
Joachim
Chacay

Return to Installation