TEAM DEVELOPER 5.2 vs W SERVER 2012

Discussion regarding installation problems for all products.

TEAM DEVELOPER 5.2 vs W SERVER 2012

Postby marisa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:11 am

Hi, we're going to update our OS from w server 2003 to w server 2012. Right now our TD version is 5.2
I found a note from GUPTA home page saying that w server 2012 is compatible with TD 6.2, so are we forced to upgrade our TD version?

thanks for any help
marisa

Re: TEAM DEVELOPER 5.2 vs W SERVER 2012

Postby Jeff @ PC Design » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:56 am

Just my 2 cents' opinion, but maybe not. The Gupta info. on their page just states that they tested v6.2 with Server 2012. Since they don't back-test and certify older TDs with newer servers, database versions, etc. if is up to you to test to see if v5.2 can work with 2012 or not.

I would suggest a separate testing environment with w server 2012 and thoroughly test your 5.2 application and database backend with it to see if 5.2 can work with 2012. I don't know if it might work or not, so I'm not recommending that you stay with v5.2, only that you will need to answer your own question by testing it. Of course, someone else here might be using v5.2 with server 2012 so others might provide feedback as well.

Be sure you realize that since v5.2 is no longer supported by Gupta that any problems or issues you might find with 2012 would not be resolved by them. If you need tech. support for your TD installation along with your move to 2012 (including any bug fixes you might find), then yes, upgrading to v6.2 -- more probably to their current v6.3 -- is what you would need to do.
Jeff Luther/PC Design http://www.jeffluther.net/TD/
Come join us at Dave Rabelink's "Team Dev. Community Forum".
All TD, TDMobile & SQLBase users welcome!
(http://tdforum.daverabelink.net/index.php)
Jeff @ PC Design

Postby marisa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:41 am

Thank you, we're trying to understand what's better and maybe we could choose W2008 just to be sure.
Thank again :D
marisa

Postby Jeff @ PC Design » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:01 am

You're welcome. You wrote that
maybe we could choose W2008 just to be sure

Maybe it would be better (?) I don't know, but in any event setting up a test environment for W2008 would be the way to find out.

I keep writing 'test environment' because what I'm a *big* fan of is keeping whatever you have that is working *intact* at least until the new setup is working. I've seen -- and even done it myself :? -- where a working system is dismantled and/or swapped out for something out that isn't working, or worse, works only partially. And in this example there's no way to go back to what was working to cross-compare to see what/how it did work with what's failing now.

Good luck on your upgrade and reply to this thread on any insights, etc. you find in whatever w server 20XX you migrate to.
Jeff Luther/PC Design http://www.jeffluther.net/TD/
Come join us at Dave Rabelink's "Team Dev. Community Forum".
All TD, TDMobile & SQLBase users welcome!
(http://tdforum.daverabelink.net/index.php)
Jeff @ PC Design

Postby marisa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:42 am

Thank you. We're going to have a meeting to understand what's better for us and the customer, too :)
marisa

Postby Charlie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:56 am

I still develop and maintain our applications with TD5.2 SP3.

My development computer runs Windows 7, and the great majority of my users have Windows 7 computers. We also have a couple of Windows XP computers running our applications, and we also support our applications on a small handfull of Windows 8 tablets.

The Windows 8 tablets have not caused us any issues. Our TD5.2 SP3 apps run on those just fine, so they should run on Windows Server 2012 just as well.

I would place my bets on TD5.2SP3 working just fine. That said...

If TD5.2 SP3 does not behave on Windows Server 2012, then you'll need to decide: downgrade to Windows Server 2008, or upgrade TD .

Alternatively: Consider a virtual PC (or virtual Server), or consider application virtualization.

Myself, I upgrade TD only when it hurts too much not to upgrade TD. Yet, I am always prepared to upgrade TD at any time if needed. Flutter like a butterfly, sting like a bee (when it is time) :) ...

Come join us at Dave Rabelink's "Team Developer Community Forum"!
All users of OpenText™ Gupta Development Tools and Databases welcome!
http://tdforum.daverabelink.net/index.php
Charlie

Return to Installation