Problem reading PDF-files on MAC and IPhones

Discussions specific to Team Developer 5.1.

Problem reading PDF-files on MAC and IPhones

Postby lars-ake » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:24 am

Hi!

We are making PDF-files in TD 5.1 sp6 whith the function SalReportPrintToFileEx and that's no problem reading it whith Acrobat Reader on PC but we have customers that are open the files on MAC and IPhones and then the files are unreadable!!! Are we doing somthing wrong or is it just like it is? Need help!

Thanks
Lars-Ake
lars-ake

Re: Problem reading PDF-files on MAC and IPhones

Postby Jeff Luther » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:36 am

Well, TD never supported the MAC, of course, and I would think that if Acrobat for the MAC (or whatever PDF reader Apple supports) cannot read Win-based PDF files, then (in theory) this sounds like an Apple/PDF reader issue. I seem to recall that Apple doesn't like or doesn't/didn't support Adobe, so this may be the issue.

One experiment I would try is to save a PDF file out of Word etc. in Windows, then copy to your MAC and IPhone and see if it can be read in. Let us know if it can be read on the MAC or not.

Meanwhile, I'll ask the techies internally about this and let you know if I get any more info.
Jeff Luther

Postby romanbr » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:07 am

Take a look at FontOption parameter of SalReportPrintToFileEx. Probably your value is "0 = Auto Select". Try to change the value to "2 = Import true type font for all strings."

Roman
romanbr

Postby lrcuess » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 am

Just a thought:
PDF means Portable Document Format and I'm absolutely sure that it doesn't matter where the PDF was created and where it gets viewed!

Max
Markus Eßmayr
RACON Software GmbH
http://www.racon.at
lrcuess

Postby Jeff Luther » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Portable -- Yes, that's what I would think too. I have a colleague who will test with his MAC and IPhone by tomorrow using a PDF I created from small test in TD.
Jeff Luther

Postby lars-ake » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:55 am

If I embed the font (parameter nEmbed = 1) then it works even on MAC and IPhones but then the size of the PDF-file went from 49 kB to 450 kB!

Lars-Ake
lars-ake

Postby Jeff Luther » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:48 pm

I did get a brief msg. from another t/s engineer who tested a TD-generated PDF and running on MAC/IPhone. He wrote:
See picture of generated PDF on both TD5.2 and TD6.0.
Shown on MAC Safari preview + Finder preview + Acrobat, and on Iphone Acrobat.

He added a Picture, I will attach here. And earlier he had written some details about what utilities he was using:
Code: Select all
1) Could open on Iphone IOS 5 (Adobe reader has been made GA on IOS since last October)
2) Installed Adobe Reader on Lion and
   • Could preview in Safari
   • Could preview in Finder
   • Could open in Acrobat reader 10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Luther

Postby romanbr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:02 am

I also did small test with Ipad/Iphone and this is the result ( printed with SalReportPrintToFileEx - nFontOption = 0 )

Roman

Ipad.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
romanbr

Return to Team Developer 5.1