Important but missing Anchor/Dock feature

Discussions specific to Team Developer 5.1.

Important but missing Anchor/Dock feature

Postby lrcuess » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:01 am

Hello,

our customers use quite different screen resolutions.
This means, that we have to design our applications GUI to fit the lowest resolution used, which basically works but isn't very satisfying for customers using high resolutions because they want screen-filling forms!

What we would need is something similar to Microsoft Visual Studios Anchor/Dock feature, so the controls will resize/reposition when the form is resized.

Is this a planned feature for the future?
If yes, can you tell us when it will be available?

Thanks,
Max
lrcuess

Postby jmgemperle » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:36 am

Hello,

I'm not sure I fully understand your request when reading

"What we would need is something similar to Microsoft Visual Studios Anchor/Dock feature, so the controls will resize/reposition when the form is resized.
"
It is clear that you talk about forms and controls in a form at runtime, I'm just confused about "Anchor/Dock feature" meanings in the context of TD visual objects in TD, data fields or any CONTROL in the Form. Are you referring to a feature of the VS IDE?

I do understand that if you designed a FORM in LOW resolution you like to reposition you controls and eventually there size when run in HIGH resolution and form is maximized. For that you can use IMO the Windows Default and increase the FONTS of the Form Window....I guess that is one way unless you don’t like to change the FONT size... Also I know you need to do that dynamically and not sure how to do. BUT there are some samples that manage I believe what you want through class but there are programming efforts involved there, it is not native... I assume you want the control to be repositioned/resized depending the resolution, whatever that feature is named right ?

Sorry for the long reply, if you say yes at the last paragraph I enter a feature request for that.

Cheers
JM
jmgemperle

Postby lrcuess » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:59 am

Hello,

what I meant is a feature, that is offered by the Microsoft Visual Studio forms designer (if you use C# for example).
For every control, you place on a form, you can define how it should behave if the parent (the form) gets resized.

You can "dock" the control the following ways
1. left -> The control is positioned to (0,0) in the parent form, stretched to the bottom of the form and keeps its initial width when the form is resized.
2. top -> The control is positioned to (0,0) in the parent form, stretched to the right of the form and keeps its initial height when the form is resized.
3. right -> The control is positioned to (right,0) in the parent form, stretched to the bottom of the form and keeps its initial width when the form is resized.
4. bottom -> The control is positioned to (0,bottom) in the parent form, stretched to the right of the form and keeps its initial height when the form is resized.
5. fill -> The control fills the complete client area of the form. This one is already available in TD für custom controls.

- OR -

You can "anchor" the control.
Anchor points are left, top, right, bottom.
This feature allows you to define, "how the corners of the control should be adjusted if the form resizes".
This means, if you just anchor the control on the right, if you resize the parent form, the right edge of the control keeps the distance to the right border of the form, so the left edge of the control may move.
If you anchor it left and right, it keeps both distances, so the controls width is adjusted.
The same applys for top and bottom.
Also mixed anchoring - top+left, top+right, ... is possible.

Hope this helps to understand my request.
Maybe you can take a short look on Visual Studio to see this in action!

Thanks!
Max
lrcuess

Postby apaula » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Max,

This is a request logged in our system and we'll be further working on it for the future but no planned dates yet.

Thanks for the details, I'll add them to our system as well.

Regards,
Ana
apaula
Site Admin

Re: Important but missing Anchor/Dock feature

Postby lrcuess » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 pm

Hello Ana,

I recently downloaded the ProfUI library that Team Developer uses inside and tried to find out, what functions it offers.
There I saw, that Docking/Anchoring is part of the ProfUI library.

Maybe it's easier to integrate than I thought before.

Do you know anything new about this issue?

Thanks very much!
Max
Markus Eßmayr
RACON Software GmbH
http://www.racon.at
lrcuess

Postby Uwe van der Horst » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Max,

we really missed the anchor/dock feature as well. Therefore we put this functionality in a dll. I didn't have the time to document this up to now. The function AddAnchor has two parameters to add an anchor to the previous element, the function AddAnchorSize has two more parameters for resizing (in percentage of the parent window). Maybe it is useful for anybody.

Regards,

Uwe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Uwe van der Horst on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uwe van der Horst
Advo-web GmbH

Go forward! Come join the TD, SqlBase & TDMobile community on
Team Developer Community Forum
Uwe van der Horst

Postby Dave Rabelink » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:12 pm

Uwe van der Horst wrote:...Maybe it is useful for anybody.

Regards,

Uwe

Looks promising.
But could you please repost the sample with all needed apl's so it is compilable ?
Regards,
Dave Rabelink

Articles on Team Developer Wiki
Download samples from TD Sample Vault

Dave Rabelink

Postby Uwe van der Horst » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:55 am

Dave Rabelink wrote:Looks promising.
But could you please repost the sample with all needed apl's so it is compilable ?
The vt*.apls are part of TD. I've added the remaining apls to my sample.

Regards,

Uwe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uwe van der Horst
Advo-web GmbH

Uwe van der Horst

Postby lrcuess » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks for posting your DLL.
We also implemented the necessary functionality for this on our own, but I still believe, that using ProfUI's integrated functions would be the best way.

So I'd still like to have it directly in TD.

Max
Markus Eßmayr
RACON Software GmbH
http://www.racon.at
lrcuess

Postby ww2912 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm using the good old resize.apl with all their problems.

same for me, I will 100% agree with that statement.
ww2912

Postby Uwe van der Horst » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:08 pm

lrcuess wrote:Thanks for posting your DLL.
We also implemented the necessary functionality for this on our own, but I still believe, that using ProfUI's integrated functions would be the best way.

Max
Max,

you're absolutely right. Of course we want it to have in TD, too. With my simple example case I wanted to make clear what we would like to have. In addition to the anchor/dock feature some new properties for resizing to adapt she size of the childs to the screen resolution. For example for columns of child tables we want a behaviour like those in Microsoft Outlook. Without changing the font size the columns become smaller when you have a lower screen resolution or when you restore the parent from maximized size to normal size. For each column we request the properties "resizable (yes/no)" and "minimum width" to make sure that date/time-columns always have the same size and text columns increase automatically with the child table/the parent window to take benefit from a high screen resolution. And when you have some controls like pushbuttons to the right of the child table that should alwalys be at the same position you need the anchor/dock feature.

Regards,

Uwe
Uwe van der Horst
Advo-web GmbH

Uwe van der Horst

Postby Martin Teetz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 am

Anchoring/resizing is certainly a very good feature that we would like to have in TD.
We need to do some investigations before I can tell you more about if and when we can do that.

Best regards,
Martin Teetz
Director of Product Marketing and Product Management
Gupta Technologies
Martin Teetz
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Product Marketing Manager
OpenText
Martin Teetz

Postby GB » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am

Any news?
GB

Postby OeAVDev » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 am

Any news?
OeAVDev

Postby Jeff @ PC Design » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:57 am

FYI, 'news' like this, especially for a version of TD that is some 8 years old and no longer in support, is generally never posted here (unless it was added to an upcoming TD 'to-do list).

I see this has turned out to be a long reply to a simple question, but here goes...

The anchor/dock feature that was originally requested in this Forum thread in 2007 -- if it had been put on a to-do list for a future TD -- would likely have been posted here by a Gupta tech. (or Martin) as a feature or enhancement that made the list and hopefully included which future TD version it would be in. Alas, aside from Martin's comment in 2008 (!) there hasn't been anything further about this.

In general, to find out what did make it I would suggest you keep bookmarks for a couple places on the Gupta site where new features, enhancements and details are listed:
>> For TD v6.3: http://www.guptatechnologies.com/Produc ... 0ee7jI8ABc

>> For earlier TD v6.2/6.1 releases: http://www.guptatechnologies.com/Produc ... res61.aspx
(Note, v6.0 is now a 'legacy' product since Gupta supports on the current TD version + 2 previous versions.)

Other places to look:
>> TD v6 White Papers: http://www.guptatechnologies.com/Produc ... apers.aspx

>> TD Documentation, upper right side of this page: http://support.guptatechnologies.com/su ... umentation

** >> and under TD v6.3 documentation is a very handy PDF in a link called "New Features" that is an ongoing list going back to TD v3.1:
http://www.guptatechnologies.com/produc ... atures.pdf

It pays to snoop around. There may be other links on Gupta and elsewhere -- Dave Rabelink's TD wiki for example is a treasure trove of TD info. and downloads: http://tdwiki.daverabelink.net/index.php/Main_Page
Jeff Luther/PC Design http://www.jeffluther.net/TD/
Come join us at Dave Rabelink's "Team Dev. Community Forum".
All TD, TDMobile & SQLBase users welcome!
(http://tdforum.daverabelink.net/index.php)
Jeff @ PC Design

Return to Team Developer 5.1