TD5.1 SP6 crashes printining due to too much fonts installed

Discussions specific to Team Developer 5.1.

TD5.1 SP6 crashes printining due to too much fonts installed

Postby thielk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:45 am

Today we installed a production version of our application at customer PC.
Everything seems to work fine. Then a huge list of barcode fonts was installed for special printouts for another application.
Now our TD application crashes in the moment SalReportPrint is called either in preview or in direct print mode.
We tested with several printer drivers and also other TD Applications were not be able to print any more.
Only With Adobe PDF printer driver, it was possible to create a report without a crash.
So we deinstalled all not needed fonts and now everything works again.

Now we have about 350 fonts installed on the machine and is working. Before were about 450 fonts installed.
These were all fonts not used by any of the reports.

System was XP SP3

Is there a system limitation within report windows print system regarding number of installed fonts?

best regards
Thiel Kohpeiß
thielk

Re: TD5.1 SP6 crashes printining due to too much fonts installed

Postby Jeff Luther » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

Thiel: This is the wrong place to post this issue (This is for Q only), so I have copied this msg. to the correct place: TD 5.1
Jeff Luther

Postby davidpritchard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 am

Is there any news on this particular bug? We have the same problem. On customer systems with large numbers of fonts (700-1000 or more), our Unify-compiled application will crash. Report Builder also crashes in exactly the same way.

We are currently using TD5.1 SP6.

I'd like to know:
1. Is there a fix?
2. Is there any change in 5.2 or 6.0?
3. Is there a workaround - e.g. the avoidance of certain functions? (Our Unify application really only processes some text files, calls some external DLL functions and invokes SalReportPrint/Preview)

Is there some kind of fixed buffer for font names somewhere which is getting overun?

Thanks for any help.
davidpritchard

Postby Jeff Luther » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:59 pm

David: Yes, I see TD-16118 that I'd reported last Fall:
"ReportBuilder: With a large number (578) of fonts for another program installed on a machine, opening test case QRP file is causing RB to crash"

I'll answer your questions but saying that this defect was fixed in both v5.2 SP4 and later TDs.

Here's the situation for you: v5.1 is not in development any longer and any defect found is not -- except in a very special circumstance, for a VAR perhaps -- ever back-ported to v5.1.

My suggestion is that you contact your sales rep. about migrating to a newer TD if you are able. v5.1 is coming up on being 4 generations ago (behind 5.2, 6.0., 6.1) and in "TD Life" lots has changed.

I doubt there is a workaround, either. You are calling a SalReport function, it's opening a QRP file, and that's causing the crash, since basically RB has to read in all those fonts (as part of reading in the QRP) to build its font list and RB is overflowing. Sorry... wish I had better news for you.
Jeff Luther

Postby davidpritchard » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 am

Hi,

Well, if 5.2 SP4 fixes it, that would be a valid solution for us. Unfortunately, 6.0 is not an option, since we don't want to involve .NET in the deployment of our application (of which Team Developer is a very small part).

I believe we have 5.2 licences, but time has not allowed us to try it out. We will now do so.

Many thanks.

David
davidpritchard

Postby Jeff Luther » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Well, if 5.2 SP4 fixes it

OOPS, my mistake :oops:
I se that TD-16118 is reported in our defects DB as having been fixed in the upcoming 5.2 SP5, due out by next month some time, I believe.

So you need to wait until SP5 comes out -- the fix isn't in SP4.
Jeff Luther

Postby davidpritchard » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 am

Ok, good to know. That will be OK for us.
davidpritchard

Return to Team Developer 5.1