SalDDE* function

Discussions specific to Team Developer 5.1.

SalDDE* function

Postby brunofranx » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:44 am

In previous app ( 1.5.1 ptf6 vs Sybase 15.0.2 ) I'm using SalDDEStartServer to start a server app that return parameters to an app client calling SalDDERequest. It's works fine
I've found in TD 5.1 mark "Obsolete" SalDDE*, meaning that It doesn't works?
I've tried, but it doesn't works.
TIA
brunofranx

Re: SalDDE* function

Postby Jeff Luther » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:47 am

..."Obsolete" SalDDE*, meaning that It doesn't works" -- that is correct. DDE has not been supported in TD for awhile. I just checked TD Help for v4.2 and the SalDDE functions are missing from that version as well.

In fact, the only Help/SalDDE information I can see is in my CTD v1.5. From v2.1 and on those functions are not listed in Help.
Jeff Luther

Postby brunofranx » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 pm

thanks Jeff.
there is a way to workaround DDE?
I resolved it with a pipe-file
TIA
brunofranx

Postby Jeff Luther » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:15 am

there is a way to workaround DDE

I don't know specifically what others have done to replace DDE, though I just found something from the old gupta NG dated in 2001 that I will attach. It suggests using the 'atom' functionality directly from the Win/API. I haven't used this code and cannot vouch for the code or its workability, but it does provide a possible answer to your 'workaround' issue.

P.S. for DDE_Replacement zip: Let me point out that the code shown uses ANSI/"A". For TD v5.1 you will likely need to translate the atom API declarations to Unicode/"W", including any prams. of type LPSTR --> LPWSTR.

I've also attached a DDETest sample from someone posted on the gupta NG, I guess; this time dated 2003. What's interesting, it that the code appears to work with TD v5.1 and does not generate any "Warning: Deprecated..." messages, but the code will display those errors with the next release of TD.

ANYONE ELSE READING THIS... What did you use to replace your DDE code??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Luther

Postby Rainer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Jeff Luther wrote:..."Obsolete" SalDDE*, meaning that It doesn't works" -- that is correct.

Jeff note, that "obsolete" does not mean "doesn't work". We successfully used those function a long time after they have become obsolete (in TD2.1 I think). And they are still in our sourcecode with TD4.2 and work. "Obsolete" means, that Unify does not support and enhance them any more. So because of the migration to Unicode they will not work in TD 5.x any more...

Regars,
Rainer
Rainer

Postby Jeff Luther » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:51 am

Yep, you are right. Thanks for the clarification, Rainer.

Note, though, that 'obsolete' and 'deprecated' do imply that the functionality can be removed from the product at any time.
Jeff Luther

Postby Rainer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi Jeff,

yes, feel free to remove those obsolete functions, if neccessary. If not neccessary, please leave them in TD 4.x.

Rainer
Rainer

Postby Discovery » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:07 pm

I'm upgrading centrura 2.1 to latest version now, just discovered this issue.
Is there any DDE replacement for Team Developer 6? If no, what's the cost effective upgrade approach?
Is there any guideline?
Discovery

Postby Jeff Luther » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:03 am

The general reply is that for "DDE" type of functionality in later Windows and TD apps it is suggested that you use COM/ActiveX controls instead.

Here's a link to white papers which might contain info: http://support.guptatechnologies.com/supportwiki/in ... ite_Papers
Additional sources of info:
** DEV.PDF ebook, esp. section titled "Introduction to COM..."
** TD Samples - take a look in the SQLWindows section.
** Search through this forum area. There should be lots of postings about this COM/AX topic.
Jeff Luther

Return to Team Developer 5.1